Which city is the capital of Cambodia

The capital of Cambodia is a city named Phnom Penh. Following up its nicknames ” Pearl of Asia” and ” The Charming City”, Phnom Penh is the biggest, most popular and richest city in Cambodia. There are many reasons why Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia and one of the most attractive city for tourists.

GEOGRAPHY

Phnom Penh as Capital of Cambodia is located in the south-central region. The city is located on the banks of three rivers Tonle Sap, Mekong and Bassac. These rivers represent a great benefit for the city because they supply a city with freshwater and many other natural sources
Capital of Cambodia covers an area of 678,46 kilometers ( 262 square miles), from which of are 11 401 hectares are in the municipality and 26, 106 hectares of roads.

CLIMATE

The climate in Phnom Penh is a tropical wet and dry. Temperatures are very high all year. Range of temperatures is from 18* C to 38 C*. There are two dominant seasons in the Capital of Cambodia.

The rainy season with southwest monsoons which last from May to November, followed up by lots of rain and humidity. The second dominant season is the dry season with tropical monsoons, which last from December to April with the driest period in January and February.

POPULATION

The total population of Phnom Penh is 2,009,264 people from the results in 2008. The city is recording a growth rate of 3,92 % and because of that it is estimated to reach a population of over 3 million people by the end of the 2016 year.

Capital of Cambodia is populated with 90 % of Cambodians. Other ethnic groups populated in Phnom Penh are Chinese, Vietnamese, Mnong Preh, Thai, Kuy, and Chams,

The most dominant religion is Buddhism with 90% of Buddhist in Phnom Penh. Islam and Christianity are the two most dominant religion in the remaining 10% of the population. The official language is Khmer, but English and French are languages that are used also in any part of the city.

CITYSCAPE AND ARCHITECTURE

The oldest structure in Phnom Penh is Wat Phnom built-in 1373. In the center of the city, there is main tourist attraction such as the Royal Palace with Silver Pagoda and National Museum, These two structures are built-in 19 century during the French colonial era.

The Independence Monument built in ancient Khmer style, French style churches, boulevards, Art Deco, market Phsar Thom Thmei, Hotel le Royal all represent notable marks of Phnom Penh.

There are monuments and memorials dedicated to the victims of the genocide of the Khmer Rouge era in 1970. The most remarkable are Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum former high school used as a concentration camp and Cheoung Ek Genocide Center.

Cambodia-Vietnam Friendship Monument, built in the Capital of Cambodia as a symbol of Khmer – Vietnamese friendship following the liberation of Cambodia from Khmer Rouge.

Capital of Cambodia

Phnom Penh rich history and culture, great architecture and good geographical location, also the economic and population growth, are all the reasons, why Phnom Penh is nicknamed Pearl of Asia and why it is declared as a Capital of Cambodia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *